Friday, July 29, 2016

Language Barrier: Was it me, Ebonics, improper English or just what?

Article 7 Volume 7
 July 28, 2016                                                                               
Do I speak proper English?
First Alert                          

I have wrestled with that question for a long time.  When I was growing up in Suffolk, Virginia I had full confidence in my ability to speak proper English, until I reached my junior year in high school.  I believed that because nearly everybody- including my teachers - told me so.  This opinion changed rapidly in the spring of my junior year at East Suffolk High School.  My English teacher, Mr. Herbert Briscoe, Jr brought a tape recorder to class.  He recorded the presentation of the top speakers.  My speech drew a loud ovation. I went to my seat feeling real good.  What happened next had a profound effect on my life.  Mr. Briscoe played the tape.  I could not believe that was me speaking.  I heard words like " beine, yeing, heing, gat,ain't, chu, them thare," and a whole lot more of poor pronunciations of words. No, no, it was not Ebonics, it was incorrectly or improper spoken English.

Because most of us spoke that way, I realized then and there that I had to be my own critic. Our teachers put a lot of emphasis on writing  correct English, but only a little bit of emphasis was put on speaking correct English.  Listening to that tape recording made me aware of just how I sounded.  

Consequences

I started working on improving my ability to speak.  I had a long way to go.

Reality knocked on my door in my first year away from home.  I was in the Army.  My platoon sergeant came to my barrack and asked for a soldier who was out. I answered, "hein helin (meaning he is not here).  Then he asked, "Do you have a broom that I can borrow?" I answered, "I ain't gat nail one helin."(meaning, I do not have one here). 

The sergeant said, "Soldier, I really don't know what you said, but I think I can figure it out."
As he walked away, I wondered if he had trouble understanding English.

Speech Improved

When I returned to my hometown on furlough, many of my friends accused me of trying to speak proper.  I told them that I thought that was what I was suppose to do. Well, it worked out.

Finally, I got it together.  My ability to speak proper   improved.  My self-improvement made a difference in my military assignments, college work, jobs, family and social life.

Teacher Awareness

Today, my childhood situation still exists with many of the young and old persons in Suffolk.  Wonder why?  Well, for one thing, many of the teachers, who write good English, have not shed their fault in speaking  improper English.  The teachers answer, " Maybe,  but I been talking like this all these years, ain't no need to change now."

So the beat goes on.

Change Needs to Come

For a change to come, it is going to require work and demand by the students, teachers, and parents.  Speaking correct English does make a difference in the world beyond Suffolk or whatever little or big town you live in.

I once set on a panel to hire a young lady from Suffolk or a town similar to Suffolk for a very critical job.  This job required good communication skills.  Best resume of the five people we interviewed.  She was a college graduate.  She did not get the job.  

However, the person selected had some discrepancies in his background, so I had to convince the agency that the young lady would be a great hire.  Reluctantly, they accepted my plea, and the young lady was hired and served them well for over 20 years. 

Closing Statement

Some people say they are speaking Ebonics and everybody understand what they are saying. So let it be.  

Really? They are not speaking Ebonics, they are speaking improper English.  Notice I did not say, bad English.

Well, after all these years, and several hundred published articles, reports, and stories, my writing is still a work in need of help.  Speaking? Well, that too is still a work in progress.

How about you?

                                       Copyright 2016. Grady E. Bryant, Sr.  All rights reserved.











No comments: